The Oakdale Gun Club offers DNR Hunter Safety Classes monthly through August.
- Classes are registered through the DNR. Register one month in advance.
- Registration: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/index.html
- You may also go to the DNR’s current Firearm Safety class schedule for the start dates held at OGC, as well as other locations in the area.
FAS – Firearm Safety Certificate
The Oakdale Gun Club typically hosts one FAS course per month, from March through September each year.
For information regarding FAS current course offerings, contact the Oakdale Gun Club’s Youth Director at email: email@example.com
If you are 18 or older and wish to obtain your FAS Certificate, you have a few options:
- The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources keeps a list of hunter safety classes being taught elsewhere in the state. DNR list: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms/index.html
- Persons 16 years of age or older can now take the Independent Study for Adults option. This enables you to complete the classroom portion of the training on your own, however, you still must arrange to take the test with a certified firearms safety instructor. For more information: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/firearms_isa/index.html
- You may qualify for the Apprentice Hunter Validation program. This is a special, one-year, one-time only exemption for hunters who will be hunting alongside an experienced hunter. (Generally, for children hunting for the first time with their parents.) For more information about Apprentice Hunter Validation: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/apprentice/index.html